To stay on course for the mech game, we need to break it down. CM = Complexity Multiplier. TL = Tedium Level. RT = Running Total.
My Demo for the Code-off:
- One character who moves. Basic Physics (2). Controls (2).
CM: 4. TL: 1. RT: 4.
- Camera (1) that can be offset by mouse (2).
CM: 3. TL: 1. RT: 7. First Time: Add 6.
- Jumping using only a plane for collision.
CM: 2. TL: 1. RT: 9. 1st Time: Add 4.
- Building levels. Objects (1), Editing (2) Input (1).
CM: 4. TL: 2. RT: 17.
- Aiming the character in accordance with movement.
CM: 2. TL: 1. RT: 19. 1st Time: add 4.
- Bullets: Particles (3), Collision (3), controls (1).
CM: 17. TL: 3. RT: 70. 1st Time: add 18 (for collision).
- Collision with level.
CM: 3. TL: 3. RT: 79.
Totals: Total Time Factor 79. First Time version: 111.
Factor in Murphy: 118 and 167.
Conversion to time: Roughly 30 hours to make it again from scratch, roughly 42 hours the first time, not counting models. Sounds about right, since I basically ignored my friends, chores, and wife for a week in order to pull it off.
So the hypothesis back-tests well. We just need to start front-testing it.
Prediction 1: A Basic Mech Game
Like Zombies, but with 4 players, a top-down view, no zombies (just rival players), no AI, no levels, and three weapons (laser for when running out of ammo, rockets for the high-damage, low-ammo, and a mega-cannon that can only fire once in a great while). Each time you die, you instantly respawn in a random location with temporary invulnerability. Matches are 3 minutes long, with a point awarded for each kill, and ties resolved by sudden death (everyone’s HP is set to 1). Super simple, requires at least 2 to play.
- Four moving characters(2), up to three of which can be disabled(1) (Press Start to Join)(1)
CM: 4. TL: 2. RT: 8
- A base particle class that can be extended into megalasers, rockets, pew-pew lasers, rocket smoke trails, and explosions.
CM: 8. TL: 1. RT: 16. 1st: +16.
- A base weapon class that can be extended into Megalasers, rocket pods, and pew-pew lasers.
CM: 8. TL: 1. RT: 24. 1st: +16.
- Extended weapons(3) and weapon particles (3).
CM: 8. TL: 6. RT: 92. 1st: +144.
- Collision between mecha (3) and particles (3).
CM: 8. TL: 5. RT: 132. 1st: +40 (just the particles).
- Character aiming.
CM: 2. TL: 1. RT: 134.
- Explosions on collision.
CM: 4. TL: 2. RT: 142.
- Hitpoints (1) and damage transfer (2), death (1) and respawning (2).
CM: 6. TL: 4. RT: 166. 1st: +16 (just the transfer).
- Game screen manager.
CM: 2. TL: 5. RT: 176.
Total Time Factor: 176. Total time for first time: 408.